Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Pet Rat Training?

I purchased a Blue Rat today. According to the guy who helped me, he's a young teenager. He is INSANELY friendly, and already LOVES to cuddle! He crawls up my arm and snuggles in my hair, and all I have to do is put my arm down for him to climb up, or just tap my shoulder and he'll zip right up it and settle down. He's already feeding from my hands, and loves Strawberry yogurt chips (I bought him early this morning, and is already very personable and loves to be loved. Is this odd for a storebought rat?)



I would like to start training him to preform small tasks. I know how to get him to come to me, to leave me, and other simple commands. What are some more advanced training methods I can work my way up to? I'd love to have some ideas.



Also, what are some treats they enjoy? I know they like small pieces of grapes, broccoli, and other small fruits. Anyone know any other fruits they enjoy?



Thanks! :D



Pet Rat Training?

I've never seen a Blue Rat, but your pet sounds adorable. I love ratz! We had a store bought rat a long time ago who we truly believe had a soul. He LOVED peanut butter; used to literally dive into his own special jar which we kept for him ( the kind with nuts) If we put him down in the yard, he would hop right to us, tho' I do not recommend this. Also, he was a "ro-dentist" ( think about it) In other words, he LOVED to clean ones teeth. Caged pet rats are very clean. My daughter told her kid's dentist about it; he laughed and told her of a cute " ro-dentist" book written for children. One caution: never feed your rat chocolate. It gives them terrible diarrhea. I think we used to feed him bits of apple and carrot. Of course the sad truth about these darling rodents is that their life span is only 2-3 years. So enjoy him while you can. All these years later, we still miss our rat, whose name was Chewie short for "chuchundra" meaning rat in Hindi. Oh, regarding training... smart rats can be encouraged to walk across a (thick) tight rope by holding a favored bit of food at the other end. I saw this on a pet tricks show. I would be careful not to have the rope very high off the floor.



Pet Rat Training?

Rats also like bread treats like noodles, pizza crusts, and toast. But it is also important not to feed them cheese. I currently have 2 but I've had 21 total in the past. You can do sit up, or other fun tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment