Monday, July 20, 2009

Shaving baby's head?

So I've seen about 2 questions today about shaving a baby's head. It's an Asian custom, and many Asians believe that it will allow the baby's hair to grow in stronger, nicer, and faster. Many people have said that it's a stupid idea and have been appalled that people do this to their babies.



FYI: Many people I know have done this and their babies have never even received a nick or a razor burn. So if there is no risk of harm to the baby, would you still have the same response?



Also, is it really right for you Westerners to criticize this custom when you cut off a piece of your son's penises? At least hair grows back!



If this is part of a person's culture and it doesn't cause any harm to a baby at all, then why should you call that person's culture and practice stupid?



We, as Americans, do lots of things for vanity (removing cradle cap, worrying about baby acne, etc.) regarding our babies. This isn't very different.



If you don't agree, please explain to me.



Shaving baby's head?

Anyone can do what they want but me personally would be afraid to put sharp objects by the baby's head cause of how fragile their skin is and head is. As far as cradle cap goes, I think most people try to get rid of it because it's itchy and uncomfy for baby. The circumsition I guess is just recommended more or less for personal hygeine purposes. I've been told it's easier to take care of and clean when it is circumsized. My son was circumsized but it wasn't done good enough so he still has skin, it is a pain that he is 3 1/2 and have to pull back the skin and clean it while he's screaming and crying...kind of traumatic. Til you've been through it, don't judge, that's what I live by! Goodluck.



Shaving baby's head?

I was just saying that if you shave the head it doe snot affect how the hair grows. I am all for whatever you want to do.



Shaving baby's head?

I agree with you. If you don't know someone's culture or traditions, don't criticize. There are plenty of things that we do as americans that make other countries go - what the....???



Shaving baby's head?

I see no harm in it, as long as they keep it protected from the sun and the chance of getting sunburns, it閳ユ獨 no different then cutting a Childs hair at the age of 3-6



Shaving baby's head?

I realize that it is the culture, and I respect that. The question I saw just a few minutes ago was from a Mom who seemed hesitant to do it, her family is asking her to do so. If the Mom is hesitant or needs to ask people on Yahoo Answers if she should do it, then she really truly doesn't want to shave her baby's head. :) She needn't do it just to make her in-laws happy.



Just my two cents worth. If the Mom doesn't want to shave the baby's head, then it doesn't have to be done.



Shaving baby's head?

Sounds like you are trying to pick a fight with us "Westerners" and aren't really concerned about whether or not it is a good thing to shave a baby's head. And cutting off "a piece of your son's penis" was believed to be a health benefit, not an issue of vanity.



Shaving baby's head?

well i guess it would be less painful to get your hair cut than to be cercumsized lmfao!!!



Shaving baby's head?

I personally did not shave my children's head when they were younger.



However, if someone wants to do that to their child, all the power to them. It won't effect me.



Shaving baby's head?

It is not GRASS!



It is not going to grow faster or fuller! Believe me!



Shaving baby's head?

shaving bald right down to the skin is inappropriate. I have 2 sons and i never even cut their hair until about 8 months, most babies at birth have some hair even if you can't see it and it falls out then thicker hair grows back, but shaving bald what is the point really. do you honestly think a baby needs to go thru all that just cause its something the parents want? Babies don't know about vanity at such a young age so why bother putting them through it. Yes i have had my sons circumcised but for vanity when they become adults, can you imagine how painful it would be to have foreskin removed as an adult. I would never shave my babies hair because it makes them the babies that they are.



I live in canada by the way and i have quite a few asian friends with children and none of them shaved their kids heads. If you love your baby as he/she is there should be no reason for shaving the head for looks or to make hair healthier, you can use organic shampoos which can make your hair look healthier.



Shaving baby's head?

If it's your custom to shave the baby's head then do what seems right to do. The only disagreement I kinda of have is I've seen baby's where their hair is shaved to like the skin and the baby looks sickly to me. They look as if they have been through vigorous rounds of chemotherapy. I notice people tend to stare also. I plan on shaveing my son' hair also just not bald to the skin. Everyone has a preference and don't let anyone judge you or your customs.



Shaving baby's head?

While I don't think it will change how the hair grows back, I have seen lots of people do this over the years %26amp; never thought it was strange or anything. My babies went bald around 5 months anyway!! =0)

1 comment:

  1. i have really thin hair, i wish my parents would have shaved my head.

    ReplyDelete